Adding the chrome boot/trunk plinth to 96-2001 MY XKs
1. First job will be to remove the liner from inside the lid, you do this via the press in clips and by removing the warning triangle if fitted.
2. Looking from the inside you should be able to see 4 X 8mm hex flange nuts, remove these and the plugs connected to the number plate lights by pressing down on the metal clip on each connector
3. The new plinth uses the original holes for location pegs, this means you will have to drill 2 extra holes for the holding bolts to go through. To do this offer the plinth up to the trunk, the location pins should fit into the original holes and gently wiggle the plinth marking the paintwork where the new holes are to be placed
4. In the picture above you can just about see the mark to the left of the hole, centre punch this mark and drill a 6mm hole
5. Once both holes are drilled you will also need to drill a ½ inch hole in the middle of the 2 central fixing holes, you can also use the original line left behind by the old plinth as a go by. This hole is for the grommet which has the wires connected to it for the trunk release
6. This next procedure is an option, but is the best way for a proper fit, however if you choose not to all that will happen is the bottom edge of the plinthwill not sit flush to the trunk, you will also need to be careful not to tighten the nuts too much as they will not be in contact with the metal and can be pulled out of the plinth. You will be tightening up on the light sections instead. The picture below shows the hole on the right that has been opened up to a rectangular shape to allow the light unit to sit through
7. The picture below shows what the view should look like from inside the trunk once fitted.
8. The button release has 2 wires coming off of it connected to a plug, cut the plug of and fit a ring connector to one wire, does not matter which, this wire can be fitted to one of the holding bolts for the plinth. Fit either a spade or bullet connector to the other wire
9. You now need to feed a wire through the plastic conduit on the boot lid hinge, to do this unwrap the end nearest the grommet, then cut the conduit just below the other grommet going into the bodywork
10. Feed a length of wire into the end nearest the grommet and push the wire in as far as you can get it, holding the new wire against the conduit pull back on the convoluted section as much as you can, then release the conduit section now holding onto the new wire at the same time against the original wires, the wire should feed itself through the conduit, keep doing this until you see it coming out the other end and pull through. Pull enough wire through to feed to the front of the car, from where it comes out pull it until it reaches the front headlight, this should give you enough to play with. Fit the female spade connector to the end going through the boot lid and tape everything up and refit.
11. Remove the rear seat, base and back
12. From inside the car you will see a grommet with a loom section going through, push the length of stiff wire through the grommet but keep a few inches sticking through into the car.
13. From inside the boot look for the stiff wire and tape the new wire to it.
14. From inside the car pull the stiff wire back into the cockpit with the new wire attached.
15. You now need to tuck the wire under the rear quarter plastic cover, you will also be able to tuck the wire under the sill tread plate, do this right along until you get to the front
16. Remove the under steering column cover, this is done by either 2 torx bolts or 2 8mm flange bolts
17. Feed the wire behind the front footwell plastic section and up until it is behind the lower corner section of the dash
18. You should be able to feel behind the boot/fuel flap release buttons, squeeze together the 2 tabs behind the button and push, the buttons should come free of there housing
19. Behind the button there is a electrical plug, splice the new wire into the grey and orange
20. Refit all panels and seats
21. Close the boot lid and the release button should now work.